Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 1/2 hours
Lasagna is the very definition of comfort food, and we are packing this one with a ton of vegetables so it’s a little healthier. Often when I make lasagna and begin building the layers of noodles, cheese, and sauce from the bottom up, I reflect on how my faith has grown over the years. Most of the time my faith has been strong. But there were years in my teens and 20’s that I struggled and turned away from Christ and His Church. With programs like Exodus 90, I’ve now been able to build a strong foundation of faith out of the layers of the daily disciplines, spiritual exercises, and the fraternity that hold me accountable.
“Let us make best use of the fleeting moments. They will not return.” – Saint Marianne Cope
- 8 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 10 baby carrots, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, seeds removed & diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces baby bella or white button mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups tomato sauce (*see Spaghetti & Tomato Sauce recipe)
- 12 ounces oven-ready lasagna noodles
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, add 2 Tablespoons olive oil.
- Add onion, carrots, zucchini, salt, and black pepper, and sauté for 6 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of spinach to skillet and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add another 2 cups of spinach and the Italian seasoning and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Transfer 1/2 of the cooked vegetables to blender or food processor.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and 1 cup of the ricotta cheese and pulse for about 30 seconds until combined well.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Repeat the process with the other 1/2 of the cooked vegetables, 2 more Tablespoons of olive oil and the other 1 cup of ricotta cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, add 2 Tablespoons olive oil & butter.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add a 1/2 cup of tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
- Arrange a layer of noodles over the sauce and top with a third of the vegetable ricotta filling.
- Spoon over a layer of another 1/2 cup tomato sauce and top with another layer of noodles.
- Continue with 2 more layers of the vegetable ricotta, sauce and noodles, ending with a top layer of noodles.
- Spoon the last 1/2 cup of tomato sauce over the top, sprinkle with last 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, then the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake another 15 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Today is the memorial of Sts. Andrew Kim Tae-gŏn and Paul Chŏng Ha-sang, and their Companions, Korean Martyrs. It is also Wednesday of [Ember Week](https://exodus90.com/blog/what-are-ember-days/), marking the passing from summer […]Read More
Day 37: Defeat of Antichrist
St. Michael's Lent