Prep time: 15 minutes
You can find it in grocery stores year-round, but the best time of year to harvest citrus is in the dead of winter. There is such a huge difference in the quality and taste when you eat oranges, tangerines, and grapefruit between the months of December and April. And what better way to eat it than in an Avocado Citrus Salad! I’ve always been really good at eating guacamole. And after 12 years of marriage to a healthy-conscience bride, I’ve learned to be really good at eating salad. This recipe brings those two things together for a delicious dish that livens things up during the doldrums of cold season. The sweet salad dressing is full of healthy ingredients like turmeric and honey. I’ve learned from experience, the best time of the week to eat this light and refreshing salad is the day after you join your buddies for an evening of “all-you-can-eat wings”.
“So, abandon yourself utterly for the love of God, and in this way you will become truly happy.” – Blessed Henry Suso
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 orange
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 1/2 small yellow or red onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup craisins
Honey Turmeric Dressing Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, black pepper, sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (Important Note: Turmeric will stain just about anything, so be careful when using this ingredient. We don’t want you showing up to work with a giant golden spot on your favorite dress shirt. If you spill a little on the kitchen counter, make a paste with water and baking soda and scrub really hard while praying a Chaplet of Divine Mercy. The stain should disappear just as you get to the end of the prayer while reciting the words, “look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us, that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent…”
- Carefully slice the peel off the grapefruit and orange, and cut them into slices. Remove any seeds. Arrange the grapefruit, orange, avocado slices, onion, and craisins on a plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Drizzle the dressing on top of the salad and serve immediately.