Vegetable Tortilla Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
I love making this dish and having it ready for the girls after we build a snowman during the long winters here in North Dakota. And it’s the kind of satisfying meal that tastes even better the next day.
“Our sins are nothing but a grain of sand along the great mountain of the mercy of God.” – Saint John Vianney
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 10 baby carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons minced serrano peppers (optional for extra spicy)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 15-ounce can seasoned black beans
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can cream-style corn
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounces corn tortillas, halved and cut into short ¼-inch strips
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 fresh lime, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F,
- Spread tortilla strips on a baking sheet, season with salt, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, green bell pepper, and salt and sauté for 7 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the garlic and serrano peppers and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, paprika, oregano, celery salt, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, vegetable broth, and tortilla strips. Stir well, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with 2 Tablespoons each crispy tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, and a lime wedge.
Today is the memorial of Sts. Andrew Kim Tae-gŏn and Paul Chŏng Ha-sang, and their Companions, Korean Martyrs. It is also Wednesday of [Ember Week](https://exodus90.com/blog/what-are-ember-days/), marking the passing from summer […]Read More
Day 37: Defeat of Antichrist
St. Michael's Lent